Anyways, I am totally addicted to this new website...Pinterest. If you haven't gone to the website or haven't heard of it, I would totally encourage you if you wish to get ideas galore. Don't say though that I didn't warn you....it is addicting! Anyways, the website is http://www.pinterest.com/. Moving on, I was looking on Pinterest for fun, different, or possibly unique Christmas decorations, traditions, photography tips, etc, and came across a "Pin" that someone posted. It is a "Family Christmas Scripture Tradition". It gives 24 scriptures in regards to our Savior -- his character, etc as well as when you get closer to the 25th, it goes into the story of Christ's birth -- to talk/discuss about with your family. I totally like this idea especially with having a little one now, and wanting to keep her firmly rooted in a Christian upbringing. So in the days of December, in case you do not want to go to Pinterest to find it, I thought I would share this tradition as Zach and I parttake in it. Without further to do, Day 1.
Scripture: Luke 8:41-56
What it says about Jesus' Character -- He is Compassionate
What is says we should do -- Have Faith
"Then a man named Jairus, a synagogue leader, came and fell at Jesus’ feet, pleading with him to come to his house 42 because his only daughter, a girl of about twelve, was dying.
As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him. 43 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years,[a] but no one could heal her. 44 She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped.
45 “Who touched me?” Jesus asked.
When they all denied it, Peter said, “Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you.”
46 But Jesus said, “Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me.”
47 Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. 48 Then he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.”
49 While Jesus was still speaking, someone came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue leader. “Your daughter is dead,” he said. “Don’t bother the teacher anymore.”
50 Hearing this, Jesus said to Jairus, “Don’t be afraid; just believe, and she will be healed.”
51 When he arrived at the house of Jairus, he did not let anyone go in with him except Peter, John and James, and the child’s father and mother. 52 Meanwhile, all the people were wailing and mourning for her. “Stop wailing,” Jesus said. “She is not dead but asleep.”
53 They laughed at him, knowing that she was dead. 54 But he took her by the hand and said, “My child, get up!” 55 Her spirit returned, and at once she stood up. Then Jesus told them to give her something to eat. 56 Her parents were astonished, but he ordered them not to tell anyone what had happened."
I don't know about any of you, but this story is truly an awesome one. There are two stories that display the faith; a faith that we need to have in our own lives. First, the example of faith in the woman that reached out to touch Jesus, in faith, in hopes that the long term bleeding she was suffering from, would be healed. When I read that Jesus said "...I know that power has gone out from me", makes me picture how great he really is, and what that must have felt like. That is some faith that woman had...a kind of faith I would like in my own life, and hope that many will see that in me. The second is Jesus' telling the father to not "be afraid, just believe and she will be healed." This just goes to show that Jesus does have EVERYTHING in his control, and when you have faith, you will be taken care of.
Hope this enourages you as much as it does for me as we enter into this Christmas season!
No comments:
Post a Comment